Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tease

Today I realized that children grow up too fast.

I've been told that determination and motivation will bring abundant rewards. Most of the time that philosophy is spewed to me, I know they're referring to money. Society yells and demands us to be greater than our parents. To make money and raise a healthy family.

One day, it was decided that a successful life was attributed to gains in a bullshit economy filled with bullshit politics. Society deemed it okay to prepare a future army. Modern day Sparta gave children Blackberrys and four-year high school plans before giving them a scooter or rollerblades.

Today, children dream of being chiropractors and nurses. A child told me at work the other day he wanted to work at the dream killer, Pella Corporation, when he grew up.

What happened to dreaming of going to space or becoming a professional wrestler? When did updating your Xbox Live messages become more important than a game of hide and go seek?

Dear dreamkillers,
I am 20 years young and I'm telling you to go fuck yourself. When I grow up, I'm going to the moon. I'm going to make a movie. I'm going to go on tour and be a rockstar. I'm going to be an FBI agent. I'm going to play ghost in the graveyard. When I grow up, I'm going to be better than you. Because I will feel better than you. Because I will outlive you. When I grow up, I will never grow up.

2 comments:

jeremiah davis said...

couldn't agree more. well said, my friend.

Cameroooonski said...

i wish i'd read this before we hung out yesterday. i have an essay that you have to read when I finish it.